Sunday, August 3, 2014

Mullein Flower Ear Drops

Last year I discovered how wonderful the mullein plant really is.   I harvested the flowers as they opened up along the stock, and made a very effective drop for earaches.  I was amazed at how well it worked.  Normally, we have always had to go to the Dr. because anything we tried to kick an earache on the first day, never was effective enough.  


This is what the mullein plant looks like.  The leaf looks very similar to lamb's ear, but the plant grows very large.  The leaves are very soft.  It begins blooming in summer, and the flowers creep up the stock and more open daily until they have all bloomed.


I harvested the flowers as they bloomed this year, as well as some of the leaves.  The leaves can be dried, and made into a tea or infused tincture to be used as an expectorant.


The flowers I added to the olive oil, and other mullein flowers I had been harvesting in the previous days.


When it was filled with flowers, and oil, I closed the lid tight and shock it up.  Then set it in a warm spot for two weeks, to infuse.  After two weeks I will strain the flowers out, and put the oil into a dropper bottle to be used whenever someone gets an ear infection or earache.*  I love herbs.



~Suzanne


*This blog is for educational purposes only, and not intended to be medical advise.

1 comment:

  1. Mullein Leaves ~ AKA camper's toilet paper!! lol

    ReplyDelete

~Please leave us a comment. We would love to hear from you.~